So happy to be here helping out Lindsay promote her book. I absolutely love it and there are a couple of quilts I can't wait to make!
When I first heard about this I knew it would be fun to make part of the quilt top and turn it into a bag. But what bag? I have a long list of bags I want to make (much to my husbands disgust!) so I thought it would be a good time to try one out. I am absolutely in love with anything SewSweetness so I decided to try out her Aeroplane bag pattern. This is a larger bag perfect for an overnight trip or getaway weekend!!
The next step was deciding on the fabric. Never an easy job. I finally decided on a charm pack of Bluebird Park by Kate and Birdie for Moda. Who can resist some cute squirrels and hedgehogs??
The next step was to figure out how many blocks I needed to make for the bag. I got out my trusty graph paper and worked out the numbers. I decided to use the blue background on the top and the green on the bottom. I made them a little bigger so that I wouldn't have too small pieces.
Once I had the blocks made and assembled I decided to quilt the panel pieces. I wanted a little more thickness so I put a layer of leftover batting between the fabric and the Soft & Stable. The Soft & Stable was cut to the appropriate size and the batting and fabric were a little bigger.
I recently got this amazing book by Angela Walters
so I used this opportunity to try something different on the top- which I loved!
Not perfect but definitely fun to try!
I kept the bottom a little simpler.
I was thinking about turning it into diamonds but I really liked this look.
The bag pattern calls for zippered pockets inside but I had some extra strips of the blocks left over so I used these to make normal pockets on the inside and I partitioned them.
As you can also see I used some bright yellow for the lining. I love bright colors inside so that you can see what is lurking in your bag!
I also added feet to the bag. Feet are super easy to do- if you can use brads you can use these! I went with silver and used 8 of them. I always use some extra batting- or in this case Soft & Stable when attaching them to make it a little more secure.
Here's what it looked like on the outside.
Once that was done I finished the bag as directed and it came out great!!
Take care and Sew on!