So at the recent Craft Market I was at, a lady came up and asked if I had ever done a t-shirt quilt. I was honest and told her that I hadn't but that I would like to. She just happened to have 15 of her daughters t-shirts in her car that she was wanting made into one. Sounded good to me. And the fact that she wanted it in 3 weeks was a challenge that I gladly took on.
The first thing I did was look for coordinating fabric. There was a red shirt and an orange shirt so those were going to be the challenge. Not all colors go with these 2 colors. So off to JoAnnes I went.
My 2 favorite fabric colors are Chartreuse and Peacock- both Konas- and they worked great. I sent these pics to the customer and she sent these back:
Pictures of her daughter's room in blue and green! How perfect!
So I cut and fused and sashed and came up with this and I loved it!!
The blocks ended up being 11 inch squares to accommodate all the writing. Now on to the decision of the backing. Mom wanted something comfy so I picked flannel and send some examples from the local Hancock's.
Mom chose the Blue and Green flowers in the middle of the first picture. I knew I was going to use straight lines for the quilting but I decided to make it a little more interesting by basket weaving the lines. Some look like they stop while others go over.
I think you can see it pretty good. I quilted it using some Aurifil Light Grey thread that I had leftover from another project and it is wonderful! The blocks were big enough that I couldn't not do any quilting on them. I just free-motioned around the designs on them.
Here is the finished quilt.
For the binding I used strips of the blue and green alternating. I machine sewed it on.
The mom received it and was quite happy and satisfied so I consider this a success!!
Can't wait to try my hand at the next one!!